Free2Code
The majority of forums are now only available as archives, which means posting/editing is disabled.

The Anything and Everything forum is still open.

Time: 2014-12-22, 02:11pm
The OS Wars
This post has been removed by a moderator (reason: nonsense)

Subject: Re: The OS Wars  ·  Posted: 2005-06-06, 09:56am
I finnaly got pissed off at all of them....
winXPedeantly left my machine at the end of my BOOT....was the worst 24 hours of my life...had no choice but to format....that was a long time ago about 3 yrs i guess...i've been running the same install of win98se that i have been and continue to mod the shit outa. i dont like formating...i leave this system running for weeks on end. of caurse the first thing to GO was IEXPLORE....win98 is only about 30 megs when you take out the trash. then replaced everything or fixxed it and added my software...and any time a software title tells me my system does not support this crap i fix it so does, usualy by adding a simple registry value....so whats up with that bull....another thing winXPisses me of cause i was messin with some network languge one day and noticed trafic goin through the network from an xp machine while it was just sitting there doing nothing and hadent been curupted by the net yet, so why was that??? as a matter of fact all my mac addresses hafta be regitrd on the server before they can get out side the local network...how was XP using so much of that internet access walkin its way right through zonealarm too...as for macitosh, well they aint any better, after all they all stole the same software to begin with.....
And yes i run win32 MS OS just so i can take a break and play my games....

Reply to this ·  Post link ·  Top
This post has been removed by a moderator (reason: triple post)

This post has been removed by a moderator (reason: triple post)

Subject: Re: The OS Wars  ·  Posted: 2005-06-06, 10:00am
Oh nice i cant post my hate for windows XP.....moderator says its nonsence....

Subject: Re: The OS Wars  ·  Posted: 2005-06-08, 02:33am
Member #: 3416
i cant post my hate for windows XP.....moderator says its nonsence....

that post actually was complete nonsense. it certainly wasn't somebody posting hate for windows xp -- there's plenty of that scattered throughout these forums and none of it gets deleted.

my mind is like a steel trap! it only hangs on to the big stuff. visit my forums at track7.org

Subject: Re: The OS Wars  ·  Posted: 2005-07-20, 04:09am
Member #: 14565
Windows totally sucks. I want a mac. IE sucks too, that's why I use FireFox.

- Little Freeland (Ryan) http://ryanfreeland.org << NEW WEBSITE!

Subject: Re: The OS Wars  ·  Posted: 2005-07-20, 11:24am
Member #: 24712
 PinkFloyd writes...
this is how i rate os, dependeing upon there reliability and performance

1. bsd
2. linux
3. windows
4. mac

pf

I'll agree with #1 only
I'll have to put Windows right at #2.

BSD is probably the most successful OS family since UNIX.
I personally run a FreeBSD system. Built like a tank and runs like a bull

As for Windows....
I know exactly what I get with Windows and I like the features.
Sorry I'm not a masochist, so if I'm getting the same productivity from Linux as well as Windows, I'll choose Windows for the ease of use. Haven't had problems with it ( since I don't install every piece of software I can find and I keep my OS as well as my firewall and AV up to date ).

Last time I built a Linux system, it just became too messy.
Too many locations and different levels of updates. Gets too bulky at runtime after a while.
And static linking doesn't solve it completely. It's not as stable as FreeBSD either ( something I found out the hard way )
I don't trust all these distributions. They install too much junk by default.

Besides, I have FreeBSD for all my *NIX needs.

I'll seriously recommend PC-BSD for anyone new to FreeBSD.
It's basically a graphical installer and software management system for FreeBSD.
But it runs almost like it's own OS.
You're getting one of the best OSes in the world with the ease of use of Windows ( almost ).

I'm working on trying to put together some terminals to ship out with PC-BSD pre-installed as soon as they pass 1.0.

Q: What do you think of Western civilization? A: "I think it would be a wonderful idea " - Ghandi

Subject: Re: The OS Wars  ·  Posted: 2005-11-26, 01:58am
Windows is a horrible operating system: Lame graphics, spyware, horrbile security, FREEZING....

Mac's take 1st place. They are everything an artist, web developer, programmer or just a plain user need. It's easy enough for n00bs but powerful enough for everyone else with their uber-good software.

Subject: Re: The OS Wars  ·  Posted: 2005-11-27, 07:06am
Member #: 4753
It's been a while since I visited my good old hangout...

And the first thing I see is this posting...

Ryan!

You never seize to amaze me! Now Mac-positive? Go.. .go... go, you've seen the light!

There are three kinds of people: Those who know how to count, and those who don't.

Subject: Re: The OS Wars  ·  Posted: 2005-11-27, 11:02am
Yes, very Mac positive indeed, after I saw what the new G5 computers can do. They have improved so much since a few years ago when they'd crash every 10 minutes (the original iMacs).

I'm planning on purchasing a Mac late next year. Possibly right after Leopard (OSX v10.5) comes out.

Subject: Re: The OS Wars  ·  Posted: 2006-01-31, 08:43pm
Member #: 194
 Ryan writes...
Windows is a horrible operating system: Lame graphics, spyware, horrbile security, FREEZING....

Mac's take 1st place. They are everything an artist, web developer, programmer or just a plain user need. It's easy enough for n00bs but powerful enough for everyone else with their uber-good software.

yes, and let's not forget their lack of hardware support, their proprietary hardware, and the nice lack of gaming!

Windows and Mac OSX have a lot in common. They're both the new "hotness," they're both proprietary, and they're both pretty shitty. The difference? Windows is more open to software than Mac OS ever has or will be. There's a reason nobody puts out games or good software for Macs, and that's because the Macintosh is for crazy Mac zealots. At least Windows has a good software base, plenty of games, and more than enough multimedia applications. Sure, Macs are great for audio and video production, but other than that, what's the point?

Don't get me wrong, I hate Windows just as much as you, but if I had to make a decision between Mac and Windows, I'd choose Windows hands down. Why? Because I dont have to buy hardware made by Apple, I dont have to use shitty software, and I can actually do something besides be a workaholic. I enjoy gaming, and the Mac just doesnt do that for me.

To be honest, I'd rather be running Linux anyway.

» Post edited 2006-01-31, 08:45pm by accident.

Here's a coupon for a punch to the face.

Subject: Re: The OS Wars  ·  Posted: 2006-01-31, 08:46pm
Member #: 26536
Macs look nice...
As long as cs:s and bf2 work with less than 20 minutes of windows set up after installation...I'll stick with windows for primary use...
Linux just takes to damn long to get things working...
"But you should've gotten the right hardware!"
Ugh...works in windows...
I like linux, don't get me wrong...but until more people make good drivers for it, its a novelty item for gaming, and other uses at that. I don't want to have to dig through forums and faqs to make my sound work...

Subject: Re: The OS Wars  ·  Posted: 2006-02-01, 10:58am
Member #: 2
 accident writes...
The difference? Windows is more open to software than Mac OS ever has or will be.

Actually, no. Mac OS X comes with free developer tools, so from a developers standpoint, Mac might be slightly better. The lack-of-software-creation was only true pre-OSX. The reason macs don't have a larger share is because they were too stupid to realise this until OS X - meaning that there were already so many games/apps for Windows that it's hard to compete.

There's a reason nobody puts out games or good software for Macs, and that's because

... Apple didn't realise they had the wrong policy until OS X :P But seriously, developers are starting to come around.. slowly, more people are including mac in their dev cycle..

Windows still wins for number of useful/working apps, though

-Terminal

Pages: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4

Please login or register to post a reply.