Free2Code
The majority of forums are now only available as archives, which means posting/editing is disabled.

The Anything and Everything forum is still open.

Time: 2014-10-25, 10:47am
wicca
Subject: wicca  ·  Posted: 2003-05-12, 02:11am
Member #: 5371
is anybody intresserd in wicca ?

Reply to this ·  Post link ·  Top
Subject: what is it?  ·  Posted: 2003-05-12, 05:01am
Member #: 867
What is wicca?

This comment is copyright by Dino (http://dino.shiftedphase.com/) and may not be reproduced without written permission of the housing authority, the Senate, the United Nations, my neighbour's dog, the grocer and the guy who just jumped off the bridge

Subject: Re: wicca  ·  Posted: 2003-05-12, 12:44pm
Member #: 51
 Dino
What is wicca?

Others might give you their definition or understanding of what it is. Here is mine.

There were some wicca related links in that group I put under "goddesses". It is basically witchcraft but it is an older word and relates to modern day revivals of witchcraft practices. Many wicca groups worship a main Goddess but many also worship a pair, that is, a God and a Goddess. For example, they will set up an altar with candles and stuff and one side will have an image of the God and one side of the Goddess.

Because goddess worship and wicca (or witchcraft) were so brutally suppressed in Europe, these altars are generally set up and then packed away, probably a habit formed when needing to keep secretive. In fact, it can be fairly cultish because of this secretive side.

There are some great ideas, though, within wicca culture. It would not suit me to join a coven, for example, but I really enjoyed reading "Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner" by Scott Cunningham. He wrote a lot of books on various spiritual practices and he writes with a beautiful inclusive style. I especially like the way he encourages people to invent or design their own rituals and altar arrangements.

With your Roman Catholic background, wicca may seem very scary by association since the Church equated witchcraft with evil and the devil, etc. I wouldn't even bother to provide you with this information if it wasn't for the fact that I've already noticed that you have an open mind, a curiosity, and an easy going nature, all of which would counter any tendency to prejudice on this matter.

Enchanted Earth, The Celtic Connection, and Magick were the main links.
See also excellent reviews of the Scott Cunningham book at Amazon.com.

Subject: Re: wicca  ·  Posted: 2003-05-12, 04:35pm
Member #: 5260
I was told by a witch friend that Wicca was more to do with the goddess religion than witchcraft. Still, I don't know much about this Wicca, but I am glad to hear your definition on this topic.

Does this Goddess have a name or not?

If anyone are interested in witchcraft, then I would suggest that you visit my friend Ly de Angeles website at http://www.lydeangeles.com/. She has also written a few books on witchcraft.

Ly is a witch. Ly had told me that Wicca and witches are actually two different things. Maybe you should contact her if you want to know the difference between the two.

Dreams are stories, but my life is just one bad dream. :P

Subject: Re: wicca  ·  Posted: 2003-05-12, 05:31pm
 storyteller
Ly is a witch. Ly had told me that Wicca and witches are actually two different things.

I did visit Ly's website. Fascinating! What a remarkable woman!

I found this excerpt from an interview for Witchcraft Magazine:

What do you see as the difference between Witchcraft and Wicca?

Well I call it Witchcraft. I've seen the whitewashing of the 70's, the need to be somehow acceptable, and maybe gain tax relief by forming "Churches of Wicca" and I find this completely alien. Witchcraft is an anarchistic, individual process and a Coven is for expediency rather than necessity.

And a Witch is a Witch, not a Wicca. The technical ways of looking at the word Wicca are ultimately irrelevant. Okay, there had to be, at some time back in history some word imposed on us to describe the indefinable, but the Wicca label comes from the 70's whitewashing. It's more acceptable but it doesn't interest me. I'm a Witch - of an admirable shade of grey.

I think that my answer to the first question is pretty compatible with Ly's view, don't you?

Subject: Re: wicca  ·  Posted: 2003-05-12, 05:39pm
 storyteller
Does this Goddess have a name or not?

As I understand it, the Wicca groups (or witch covens) that worship a goddess will use a preferred name or several names. There is no goddess name that is particular to Wicca or witchcraft. Because wicca is a revival of something that was suppressed among Celtic groups in Europe, it is natural that names of ancient Celtic goddesses are favoured. You should know these better than me!

Subject: I see...  ·  Posted: 2003-05-12, 08:50pm
Member #: 867
 Arizona
With your Roman Catholic background, wicca may seem very scary by association since the Church equated witchcraft with evil and the devil, etc. I wouldn't even bother to provide you with this information if it wasn't for the fact that I've already noticed that you have an open mind, a curiosity, and an easy going nature, all of which would counter any tendency to prejudice on this matter.

Actually I don't mind learning about other religions.

I understand that other religions have their own way of worshipping, and I'm not against that at all.

I found this explanation very interesting; I didn't know such practices still existed.

You mentioned prejudice... heh... it's something I really avoid and dislike. My mother is extremely prejudist and I can't stand that... she even assumes that the people of the political opposition in Malta are evil. *sigh*

This comment is copyright by Dino (http://dino.shiftedphase.com/) and may not be reproduced without written permission of the housing authority, the Senate, the United Nations, my neighbour's dog, the grocer and the guy who just jumped off the bridge

Subject: Re: wicca  ·  Posted: 2003-05-12, 09:04pm
 Dino
My mother is extremely prejudist

I think she is prejudiced. Very unusual for you to make an error like that! Your grammar and spelling is so impeccable. It's nice to see.

Actually, some witches or wiccans don't see themselves as practising a religion, I guess because what they do is so different from organised religion. I rate it as a religion myself because I have a broader understanding of what that includes.

Subject: Re: wicca  ·  Posted: 2003-05-13, 11:57am
 Arizona
As I understand it, the Wicca groups (or witch covens) that worship a goddess will use a preferred name or several names. There is no goddess name that is particular to Wicca or witchcraft.

Arizona
...it is natural that names of ancient Celtic goddesses are favoured. You should know these better than me!

I am afraid that Wicca have never been part of my study in mythology. As I said I don't know much about Wicca, so I don't know much about their goddesses.

I also don't know much about the practice and customs of modern Celticism or Druidism. I can only guess that they resemble in sketchily with druidism in the past.

However I thought that Wicca was developed from a Germanic group. Maybe I am wrong, or maybe they have mixed Germanic and Celtic together.

I am glad that you (Arizona) had enjoyed Ly's website. She is also from Sydney and one of them who have visited my site. We met through exchanging a number of messages and exchanging some interesting ideas about paganism. Of course, I didn't agree with all of her views, because I agnostic and bit of sceptic when it come to magic.

Subject: Celtic goddesses  ·  Posted: 2003-05-13, 01:01pm
 storyteller
I don't know much about their goddesses

The main Celtic goddess I've heard of and whose name I can recall is Brigid. However, wicca groups or individuals use names that appeal. I think the Egyptian goddess Isis is popular, too.

I did a Google search under "ancient celtic goddess" and found this page:
Celtic Whispers
It mentions Brigit as "Goddess of crafts, poetry, fertility, and healing, daughter of Dadga". It also mentions Branwen, Danu, Sheila-Na-Gig, and others whose names I've seen connected with wicca, withcraft, or other pagan resurgences.

Referring back to that long list of names under the goddesses topic, I could only find Brigid there, so the others must be a little more obscure.

Subject: Re: wicca  ·  Posted: 2003-05-13, 01:06pm
 storyteller
I agnostic and bit of sceptic when it come to magic

should be
I am an agnostic and a bit of a sceptic when it comes to magic

or
I am agnostic and a bit sceptical when it comes to magic

Subject: celtic goddesses  ·  Posted: 2003-05-13, 06:06pm
to storyteller:

I revisited your site, this time not just to assess it as a website worthy of hosting but to search for references to the Celtic goddesses. I did discover your page on the Tuatha Dé Danann which does, of course, mention all those goddesses. The triple goddesses are especially popular with witches and wiccans.

I had no idea how extensive your website was, how detailed the stories, and how much you've read. It's most impressive.

I don't know what to think of the grammar errors that sprinkle the whole text. At the end of the day, do they matter? It's usually clear what you mean. But I guess, if you wanted to lift your site up to a really top class site, it would be useful to have it edited. If I could find someone to do that for you, would you be interested? It would have to be a labour of love, of course.

Subject: Re: wicca  ·  Posted: 2003-05-14, 12:54pm
 Arizona
I had no idea how extensive your website was, how detailed the stories, and how much you've read.

I not only give background detail about individual person in articles and pages (whether mortal or immortal), but I tried to find different sources/texts (from different authors and from times), before writing article about that person.

If I find something interesting, I tried to retell the whole myths. I don't provide translation, but a summary of that translation (which means retelling).

I have my own small collection of books on the various literature dealing with mythology(ancient and medieval). The good things is that I have the more important books at home.

What I can't afford to buy, I'd try to find them elsewhere. What's not available in the bookstores, I'd try to find the translations in the library or those found texts found on the websites.

I mainly used translations of texts that I have read. I would only use reference books to find more texts/sources. I then piece the various texts together (what I've read), and write down.

That's how I work. I am not trying to invent new myths, but make my knowledge available to anyone who are interested in it.

Judging by the number of emails I receive from students and myths enthusiasts, they like the website because I can provide them the information they needed.

Arizona
If I could find someone to do that for you, would you be interested? It would have to be a labour of love, of course.

I would love to have someone edit it, but I am afraid I can't afford to pay anyone. Something like this would take a lot of time, because I have over 180 webpages. Occasionally, some one would point out where the spelling or grammar error is, but I don't receive a lot of help.

People have offered to help me edit it, eg. English teachers, but they are so busy that, their help had never eventuated.

The only person who help me with the website, is a dear friend from Spain. Most of the images (of paintings, pottery, sculptures) were scanned and email to me. Lately, she have been too busy, because she has a husband and she's working too. I never pressure her in helping me, but she's very helpful and generous in nature.

If you can find someone who can help for free, that would be great, but you or anyone else don't have to feel responsible. Please don't feel pressure in doing so.

Subject: Re: wicca  ·  Posted: 2003-05-14, 01:13pm
 Arizona
I did a Google search under "ancient celtic goddess" and found this page:
Celtic Whispers

Oh yes, I know Jarrien Wolf and his Celtic Whisper website. He had written to several times. I have heard from him in a while, nor have I visited his wesbite in a while. I believed that I have his website listed in my "Related Sites".

Arizona
I don't know much about their goddesses

I know about these Celtic goddesses, but not that these Wicca believed in these goddesses that you have mentioned.

You may wanted to visit my friend's website at A Jornal Of A Poet - The Goddess As My Muse. She is a Wicca and an amazing poet.

Subject: editing  ·  Posted: 2003-05-14, 01:54pm
to storyteller, re the editing:

I have started asking around, we'll see what we can come up with. We'd need to sort out how to do it most efficiently. I'd be happy to make a start on the Greek Mythology pages, so we can work some of this out. Any ideas?

Because I know HTML, it would be best for me to take a copy of your source file, amend it and then send you the amendment via email (or better still, pop it into a special folder on the server here). An editor not familiar with HTML might find that a bit daunting. If a text file version was edited, it would need to be re-embedded into the HTML file. Quite a chore!

Let me know what you think about this.

Subject: Re: wicca  ·  Posted: 2003-05-14, 02:25pm
Member #: 931
Heres my personal opinion: Wiccan-type people are selfish assholes who are interested in worthless crap that hobos write, and it is a very immature "religion" if you can call it that. People "throw their headaches away" I mean, C'mon!! XD Witchcraft must be taught by like mentally-unstable patients of a clinic, or just mentally ill hobos. And yes I do personally know some.... one almost burned her brothers whole room, idiot :P

Subject: Re: wicca  ·  Posted: 2003-05-14, 02:29pm
 storyteller
You may wanted to visit my friend's website

Thanks for directing me there. Yet another amazing lady that you know!

There are clearly connecting threads among the themes we've touched on: wicca and witchcraft, Celtic mythology, Goddess worship, and amazing women. I can see that poetry is also a common thread as you write the opening poems to your sections. That is a nice touch, I think. It makes the site original and really "yours".

Subject: Re: wicca  ·  Posted: 2003-05-14, 02:34pm
 DragonSlayer
Heres my personal opinion:

Well, you are entitled to your tuppence worth.

Subject: Re: wicca  ·  Posted: 2003-05-14, 02:35pm
I type most of it using html editor, like Homesite, it color coding help me sort, which is text and which are tags.

I am not sure how to go about doing this, because noone (third-party) have actually try to edit it. If you do decide to edit the Greek mythology pages, then I guess you can. Where you start, is your choice.

A word of warning. When editing a webpage. Please don't use MS Word or FrontPage to save the pages. It make a mess on the formatting, such as indent. It make it hard to read, when I editing the html code.

My email is bladesmaster@email.com

Thank you, Arizona.

Subject: Re: wicca  ·  Posted: 2003-05-14, 02:36pm
Yes.. I believe It promotes evil...well, it DOES

Pages: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4

Topic is closed.