Free2Code
The majority of forums are now only available as archives, which means posting/editing is disabled.

The Anything and Everything forum is still open.

Time: 2014-09-02, 01:57am
WLAN
Subject: WLAN  ·  Posted: 2004-07-20, 06:03am
Member #: 15759
I am quite new to linux. Accually very new, and I need some help. I use my computer mainly for three things: Programming (C++), Internet, and word prossesing. I heard that Linux could teach you better programming tecnique by showing you most things that go on behind the curtian (unlike Windows wich just does things automatically and half the time that isn't what you want). But anyway, I found and installed Debian with X and GNOME. The only problem is that I can't figure out how to get on the Internet or find a C++ compiler. I can probably search harder and find a compiler but I am stummped on the Internet. I have a WLAN PCMCIA card and i downloaded a .tar.gz file from Linksys (manufacturer) but when I open it and click a program it gives me a "No action taken" warning. Frankly Windows is looking better right now, but i don't want to give up this easily.
Any help would be appreciated. Post on this message board or e-mail at bennettmk@sbcglobal.net.

Thank You.

Why are we all here?

Reply to this ·  Post link ·  Top
Subject: Re: WLAN  ·  Posted: 2004-07-20, 07:08am
Member #: 3416
you should have gcc -- try "man gcc" for help with that. i think it handles c++ but i've never tried

as for the wlan pcmcia driver, i don't know what's included in the file, but i've found it easiest to run installations from a terminal window rather than clicking on them from some sort of file manager.

my mind is like a steel trap! it only hangs on to the big stuff. visit my forums at track7.org

Subject: Re: WLAN  ·  Posted: 2004-07-31, 02:40am
Member #: 11609
What's the model of your card, WPC11?
The tar.gz file you got should have a makefile. :P

I have a DWL 520+ dlink and WMP11 linksys wireless cards -- I only got the Dlink 520+ to work. If your wireless drivers are not working, you may want to consider downloading the WLAN NG drivers that work with prism chipsets.

It's best to run installations like this from the terminal window, e.g.,:
(assuming the filename is driver.tar.gz)

gunzip driver.tar.gz
tar -xf driver.tar
cd driver
./configure
make dep
make
make install

A guy gets on a bus and starts threatening everybody: "I'll integrate you! I'll differentiate you!!!" So everybody gets scared and runs away. Only one person stays. The guy comes up to him and says: "Aren't you scared, I'll integrate you, I'll differentiate you!!!" And the other guy says: "No, I am not scared, I am e to the power of x."

Subject: Re: WLAN  ·  Posted: 2005-03-05, 02:44pm
i have dlink dwl 520 e version

which to dl at the weblink listed above

i have fedora core 2

Subject: Re: WLAN  ·  Posted: 2005-03-18, 03:27pm
Member #: 11609
For DWL-520 cards, there is a third-party Linux driver listen somewhere on the D-Link homepage.
Otherwise, download the Windows drivers and hook them up with the ndiswrapper package.

Yes, use google and documentation to figure out the rest.

A guy gets on a bus and starts threatening everybody: "I'll integrate you! I'll differentiate you!!!" So everybody gets scared and runs away. Only one person stays. The guy comes up to him and says: "Aren't you scared, I'll integrate you, I'll differentiate you!!!" And the other guy says: "No, I am not scared, I am e to the power of x."

Pages: 1

Please login or register to post a reply.