Free2Code
The majority of forums are now only available as archives, which means posting/editing is disabled.

The Anything and Everything forum is still open.

Time: 2014-09-01, 04:13pm
redhat is dying!
Subject: redhat is dying!  ·  Posted: 2003-11-03, 09:44am
Member #: 3416
sounds like redhat is going to be discontinuing support, and does not plan on releasing any more linux distributions. the fedora group may take up where redhat is leaving off though, i didn't read much about it.

slashdot article

my mind is like a steel trap! it only hangs on to the big stuff. visit my forums at track7.org

Reply to this ·  Post link ·  Top
Subject: Re: redhat is dying!  ·  Posted: 2003-11-03, 07:01pm
Member #: 4296
Considering how fast RedHat grew from scratch, this shouldn't be too surprising...

Besides... Linux by it's very nature is a made-for-server OS. So going pure enterprise and supporting office server and workstation type applications would be a natural choice to make money. Most home users are still into Mac and Windows anyway.

_unixsucks dot com_

Subject: Linux Rocks  ·  Posted: 2004-01-31, 09:18pm
I dont care what ppl say, linux in my opinion is one of the best OS'es around. And big companies are investing into linux nowadays cause they dont have to pay so much or purchase it. And linux has also come in handhelds

Subject: Re: redhat is dying!  ·  Posted: 2004-02-01, 12:34am
Member #: 194
the fedora project is essentially redhat 10. it has all the same shit as 9, except for package upgrades and shit like that.

Here's a coupon for a punch to the face.

Subject: Re: redhat is dying!  ·  Posted: 2004-02-08, 05:52pm
Member #: 12885
I really like Fedora ... I just installed it (in it now) and its pretty cool...The last time I played with linux at all was red hat 7.... Anyway....I have played with slackware, lycoris, and freebsd (i know its not linux, but I had to try it out anyway) and I like Fedora the best

Robert

Thanks, Robert aka Geekmeet :D Geekmeets current home is located at http://gmhome.port5.com Looking for a good laugh? Check out http://www.userfriendly.org/ This stuff is funny!

Subject: Re: redhat is dying!  ·  Posted: 2004-02-11, 02:38pm
Member #: 195
Red Hat is making profit for the first time ever, and you're saying that they are dying! Are you on crack?
Their stock is up from July 2002 when I bought it for $5 a share. Now it's $18, $19, even $20 per share.

I like Fedora, I like Red Hat, but I don't use their products. :[

I use Windows but I'm all about teh Open Source (tm)

Subject: Re: redhat is dying!  ·  Posted: 2004-02-12, 05:23am
well i didn't mean the company is going under or anything, the subject was just an old slashdot joke about "bsd is dying!" which some idiot posts every now and then.

if you're all about open source, why are you using windows?

my mind is like a steel trap! it only hangs on to the big stuff. visit my forums at track7.org

Subject: Re: redhat is dying!  ·  Posted: 2004-02-12, 06:17pm
I use windows because I want to learn more about it.
I don't know much about the internal workings of the API or the registry or anything beyond advanced/moderate PC troubleshooting.

Keep your friends, but your enemies closer.
I love Open Source tho, I am a zealot.

Subject: Re: redhat is dying!  ·  Posted: 2004-02-13, 05:57am
okay, fair enough

Subject: Re: redhat is dying!  ·  Posted: 2004-02-13, 07:59am
In fact, I read a paper by the Dean of my college today re: Open Source and smashed it to pieces to another instructor...

I've read the books by the three principal people re: Open Source:
Linus B. Torvalds
Eric S. Raymond
Richard M. Stallman

I subscribe to LinuxWorld Magazine, Linux Journal, InfoWorld, WideOpen (by Red Hat), and I read Linux Magazine off the news stands. I read all the Linux articles on Slashdot. I program Open Source software, and I brag about Open Source on forums like this one :[
Bow before me, for I am Open Minded.

Subject: good news and bad  ·  Posted: 2004-02-19, 05:09am
Member #: 12026
Red Hat was a great product for newbies... used to be the only distro with a sane and relatively easy install. Its not really going anywhere just focusing on the paid side of it.
Also I think the original role of RH isn't needed anymore, there are so many easy to install distro... Linux is getting easier and people are getting smarter or atleast more willing to read docs.
Incidentally, I wonder if the progress of RH and Fedora might become something like the scenario with gcc and egcs when there was the fork() egcs ended up developing much faster than gcc and eventually there was a merge because the much advanced egcs would probably have completely dominated and open-source is more about cooperation than competition (IHMO). What if Fedora, in a much freer development model and openness for any one to contribute in testing and devlopment gains new features that RH developers never thought of. They'll probably be absorbed by the RH team, after all its open source but it'd be cool if the "free" Fedora project ended up being a bigger and faster success than the RH project.

[edit]
And possibly those niggling inconsistencies and inconviniences like not being able to play mp3's "out of the box" will be resolved.

- emk

Attitude is no substitute for Competence. - Eric S. Raymond (esr)

Pages: 1

Please login or register to post a reply.